I shopped at TJ Maxx today and I saw some great jeans on a rack. I thought they would make an awesome present for my girlfriend who really likes this particular brand.

The sign on the rack said $79.99. However, when I went to the checkout, they came up at $99.99.

I told the cashier that the price was wrong. We could both clearly see the sign and the nice cashier agreed with me.

Then the manager decided to step in and veto the 79.99 (correct) price. She said that some of the jeans on the rack were 99.99. I showed her the signage. It says 79.99, not 79.99 and up. She agreed with the verbage of the sign, but still would not give me the 20.00 difference in price. I think that's called bait and switch, right? Lure you in with one price and then make it more expensive. Good thing I've been trapped in retail for the past 6+ years. I have some connections with TJ Maxx. Just wish I didn't have to go through all of this because the manager had a chip on her shoulder despite her store's incorrect signage. Time to battle!

Review about: Tj Maxx Cashier.

Comments

Orangeville, Ontario, Canada #899778

Why not have your girlfriends parents buy clothing for her, at age seven you are too young to have a girlfriend let alone buy expensive clothing for each other.

:eek for them in the section I purchased from - 43% better than when I arrived.

"we will ALWAYS honor the markdown" NOT SO. I was just there and the lady behind the counter tore off the sticker and said it was the next price up - making it a 100% markup :( :sigh :eek

to AT: Anon on May 15, 2011 Syracuse, New York, United States #657709

If the incorrect sticker is placed over a ticket, cashiers are not allowed to choose the lower price. Customers actually do switch tickets to try to get a lower price.

to AT: Anon on May 15, 2011 #694432

If the numbers dont match on the red mark down label AND the original ticket, we can't honor it because, first of all, the ticket was clearly switched, and second of all, if the price went back to the original price, then that means its a newer item. Look, we're not ***, ive seen some of the things customers try to do to get a few bucks.

And one of the easiest ways is looking at the ticket that was apparently "marked down" and noticing a terrible job the customer did when they tried scratching off a lower price markdown and putting it on something else. Do you ever wonder why its so hard to get those things off?

do all TJ Maxx associates carry such a BIG CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDERS :sigh

The jeans were probably in the wrong place. they do not have to honor that price if it is in fact in the wrong place.

That's also why everything has a *** price tag.

If you go to Walmart and find a flat screen for $1000 over with the $700 TV's I wouldn't expect them to honor that price. Although, who would move a TV for a Grand they weren't buying lol.

You are the type of customer that makes my day miserable. TjMaxx is more than fair in its pricing.

Most of the customers who complain are the ones who run around the store, throwing things everywhere and making royal messes that I have to clean up. We close at 9.30. I dont go home until at least 10.30 or 11 because I'm cleaning up customer messes. So a pair of pants got placed on the wrong rack...I'm sorry.

Do you want me to monitor all the racks so you don't have to be so TERRIBLY INCONVENIENCED? Okay, fine. I'll do that...Now all my cashiers are watching the racks to make sure there arent any mistakes...Now you are just going to complain that their aren't enough people on the register to process your order.

Bait and switch? please.

to Tjx Employee Fort Worth, Texas, United States #700477

I couldn't have said it better. Some people just live to complain, moan and groan.

This person needs a life, seriously!! These are also the type of people who think the toy department is their babysitter or the fitting rooms are the bathrooms!

OH LORD! Don't say where does my paycheck comes from!

Annoying, cheap, *** customers like you can take your money else where, but will you? No. Your cheap, you won't pay full price. B****ING about paying 99 for jeans, full price they are probably 200, I know you won't pay that.

So get your head out of your a$$.

If you can't afford to shop, don't. Simple, right?

My gf has worked at TJMAXX since 2001, she worked in Boca Raton,Fl and now works at a store in southeast Georgia. I worked for Marshalls for a short while and agree with the associates statements, customers at tjmaxx are rude, nasty and down right disrepsectfull to the employees there.

The prices are already marked down, and some come in there and try the bait and switch themselves. I see it all the time, customers taking an item from one rack and then putting it on another rack, or just throwing it on the floor. This guy who is complaining about the $20.00 difference, is cheap.... IF he intended to spend $79.99 on a pair of jeans in the first place, the $20.00 difference should have been no big deal.

And as he stated he works in retail and should know, "THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT". Customers will do anything to decieve and get over on a retail store to save them a buck. They lie, cheat, steal to get something for nothing.I have seen it happen. I have been quilty of taking something while in Walmart off a rack or shelf and later deciding that I did not want it, and have placed it at the check out counter.

Only done this once or twice, I usually take it back to where I got it, knowing what I know about retail work. So GUY

The jeans got put on the wrong rack by a customer. I work at TJ Maxx. It happens all the time. This is not a store mistake. The customers don't care that we have to clean up after them and they throw their stuff down.

"If you can't read a price tag, then you shouldn't be shopping anywhere! Next time, switch the ticket instead... the employees will be able to get more done about the thievery that goes on in our stores! If you have ever noticed, we are very fair with pricing... if you find an item that has missed being marked down, we will ALWAYS honor the markdown. Please stay away from our stores... we have enough to deal with without people like you telling us what our prices are supposed to be..."

AMEN!

I used to work at T.J. Maxx back when I was in high school and this issue came up a lot with the customers, haha... There was one time where a mother got so angry about this she publicly humiliated her husband and grown son standing behind her.

Anyway.

People tend to put stuff in the wrong racks. The next person who picks it up might believe that the real price is what it says on the sign. Honestly, it'd be silly if it were true -- customers would constantly be putting $200 jeans (yeah, there are some for that much) on a $20 jean rack.

The signs are completely independent from what the -individual- price tag says. It's merely there for decoration.

Ok, let's get something straight. Everything has a price tag on it.

If a feature with many items is signed, than you have to honor that price.

Now, the store is open to the pubic, meaning, that one switched price would not count. That's how it is in all stores, and that's the bottom line.

ive been to TJ Max and have never seen a pair of jeans for that much there! and even if it was that much, would you seriously just get your gf a pair of jeans for that much!

i mean c'mon be more realistic, there's soo many more things that you can buy for about $80 that could have so much more meaning for her. maybe you should consider a homemade gift exchange this year or next year to save some cash.

I agree:

Everything for sale at a TJ Maxx store has a TJ Maxx price tag on it. The price of the item is the price on the price tag..

pretty simple concept wouldn't you say?

Just because a pair of $99 jeans is on a $79 rack doesn't make them $79. If that was the case customers would take all kinds of expensive things and put them on the lowest price pointed racks possible so they can get the low price poin

pinolian
Sha Tin, Hong Kong, Hong Kong #196700

At Marshalls all the signs are so specific. If the rack says $79.99 and a pair of jeans on the racks ticket reads $99.99 then the jeans are $99.99 and just put there by somebody.

Its not like the signs say they are on sale.

Then that would be different. The prices are already reduced.

#191399

What if the situation was reversed? Would you pay $99.99 for a $79.99 pair of jean that was placed on a rack marked with a $99.99 sign?

Most likely not. So what's the big deal?

:) Ny wife has been a processor at TJ Maxx for a year and lets get one thing straight; Every clothing item is tagged and any thing over 19.99 in clothing is also sensores. If something is put on a rack it goes on a rack showingthe pricing.

I have personallly seem some customers grab something from another racl change there mid and put it on a different rack. I have seen some of you be s lazy as to just through the items on the floor. Some customers treat the employees like they are second class citizens. If it was not for the fact I thought my wife would lose her job, I would say something to some of ou.

You should be ashamed of how you treat folks in the service industry. I would be emberassed to knbow some of you or to be your parent or brother.

Grow up you all need a real attitude check. Oh yeah lets get one thing clear, If TJMaxx makes a mistake I have seen them correct it.

I was the customer originally AND I've been an operations manager in retail establishments over 8 years. According to the Ohio revised code, that signage was incorrect.

After I presented my argument to the the actual store manager (not the stand-in) she was MORE than happy to take care of the problem. She walked me over to the signage, admitted the error, removed the sign, and made things right as she should have. You should probably watch your "people like you" statements. I understand working in retail is a challenge with difficult customers.

I was simply resolving a problem the store created. "Geez!" needs to calm down a little. Obviously stating that I was "caught in a lie" is way off the mark. I won't be hiring any of your kind in any of my stores.

Retail is a team sport. You kinda need to get over yourself. "Stay away from your stores?" Where do you think your paycheck comes from?

...anyway, due to the awesome response from the store manager I shop there consistently and will continue to. I have spent thousands there.

It's a pretty great store. Image if they would have fought me over $20?

That's not even business savvy. Good job TJMaxx for fixing an admitted error and keeping a customer for life.